Re: gtkdialog again, the other way around this time – how to use bash variables in dialog?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 14:40:52 UTC 2013

2013/4/21 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2013/4/21 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:
>> > MainDialog=$(<${DialogFolder}/musician-dialogue.xml)
>> > MainDialog="${MainDialog/\$InstrumentsList/$InstrumentsList}"
>> > MainDialog="${MainDialog/\$MusiciansList/$MusiciansList}"
>> > export MainDialog
>
>> I was actually thinking something almost similar, using sed instead,
>> but this looks more elegant, and I have seen that people seems to say
>> that it's better to use the shell built-in stuff rather than to invoke
>> external programs or commands.
>
> Well, you wrote somewhere that you are using bash - therefore this
> solution works. But IIRC a traditional shell doesn't know string
> replacement. Therefore the sed option would be necessary if you want to
> make the script portable.

Yes, I'm using Bash, and when I said ”shell built-in” I meant built
into bash, which is the shell that I use…
Maybe ”shell” usually refers to ”sh”, I don't know. I though it just
means a shell, whatever shell or ”the shell that we are talking about
in this specific case”. I'm sorry if I weren't specific enough there.

Johnny Rosenberg