scp (ssh) through home router

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 19 07:53:34 UTC 2013

On 19 April 2013 08:42, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> looking at:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/a/153357/45156
>

> I have two machines, dur.bounceme.net (a FQDN which will not resolve to
> an IP address) and dur2 on the same network.  I think I might've renamed
> dur2 to vulcan.

Don't you know?  It is surely not difficult to find out.  Is this
relevant to the question in some way?

> In any event they're connected to a netgear router -- they're on the same
> network.
>
> I should refer to them by ip address, because the hostname's aren't
> "real" in that they won't resolve to an IP address in DNS?

You have not said which network you are trying to run ssh from, or
which machine you are trying to connect to.

If you are connecting from one machine to another on the same subnet,
running ubuntu, then you should be able to use the .local name, so to
connect to vulcan, for example
ssh user at vulcan.local

Colin