ubuntu and cgroups

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 20:49:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 12.10 (with Linux 3.5.0-17-generic kernel)
>> There is no special installation (like containers/openvz) on this
>> machine and no kernel patches.
>>
>> After boot, I see:
>>
>>  mount | grep cgroup
>> gives:
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpuset)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpu)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpuacct)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,relatime,memory)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,relatime,devices)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,relatime,freezer)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,relatime,blkio)
>> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,relatime,perf_event)
>>
>> more info:
>> uname -a
>> Linux amd 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012
>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> And for example, there are 153 pid entries, as  getting when running:
>> ls  /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset/tasks | wc -l
>>
>> Question: which service/process mount this cgroups ? (there is no
>> systemd in Ubuntu). For which purpose are they mounted ?
>
> I found that the package:
> cgroup-lite
> was the reason.
> I removed it, rebooted, and then mount showed no cgroups.
>
> However, after some time, the package was installed without me requesting
> for it, by probably some ubunt package daemon.
> Any idea how can prevent automatic reinstallation of this package ?

Please don't top post.

Check what package is pulling it in.

[th at box:~]$ aptitude search '?Depends(cgroup-lite)'
p   cgroup-bin                                                     -
Tools to control and monitor control groups
p   libvirt-bin                                                    -
programs for the libvirt library
[th at box:~]$
[th at box:~]$
[th at box:~]$ aptitude search '?Depends(cgroup-bin)'
p   libvirt-bin                                                    -
programs for the libvirt library
[th at box:~]$
[th at box:~]$
[th at box:~]$ aptitude search '?Depends(libvirt-bin)'
p   gnome-boxes                                                    -
Simple GNOME app to access remote or virtual systems
p   koan                                                           -
kickstart-over-a-network (koan)
p   nova-compute-kvm                                               -
OpenStack Compute - compute node (KVM)
p   nova-compute-lxc                                               -
OpenStack Compute - compute node (LXC)
p   nova-compute-qemu                                              -
OpenStack Compute - compute node (QEmu)
p   nova-compute-uml                                               -
OpenStack Compute - compute node (UserModeLinux)
p   nova-compute-xen                                               -
OpenStack Compute - compute node (Xen)
p   opennebula-node                                                -
empty package to prepare a machine as OpenNebula Node
p   ubuntu-virt-server                                             -
Common packages necessary for hosting virtual machines
p   virt-goodies                                                   - A
collection of helpful virtualisation related tools
[th at box:~]$