Xforwarding question

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 11 21:25:23 UTC 2013

Linda,

On 11/04/13 20:25, Linda wrote:
> I am playing around with X11 forwarding.
> When I use ssh -X and I am done and exit if I have displayed a remote graphical program instead of exit giving me logout then connection closed then a prompt on the local machine I get a response of logout but no connection closed and have to enter ctrl C to return to the prompt
> I notice the same behavior with Xming and Putty from windows, ie not a clean exit so you have to manually close putty. Just wondering what I need to do to properly close everything when running remote X applications over ssh or putty.

It sounds like your graphical program has not exited and so the
connection does not get closed. How are you invoking the program? Are
you putting an & at the end of the command to run it in the background?
E.g.,

	$ xclock &

Regards,
Tony.

--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk