<OT> petition for Open Document standards for US governement

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Apr 11 07:41:29 UTC 2013

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 11/04/13 15:49, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Well, if we keep ratchet jawing about it Basil, maybe it will get
> >> some of these mugwumps to go and sign it?  So here is the link
> >> again.>
> > Can someone please tell me why I should read this nonsense?
>
> Actually it beats me why you bother to read this list at all.
>
> Is there a special reason why you bother to read this list?

It may be new to you, but the topic of this list is "Ubuntu user
technical support, not for general discussions". And that's why I'm
here, to support other users of *Ubuntu.

> >   IMHO your
> > local political campaigns have no place on this international list.
>
> Where does the political part come into it (apart from the need for a
> petition to be presented to Congress)?

If you think, a petition to the US government has nothing to do with
politics, I wonder what your definition of politics is.

> I live on the other side of the world so this petition does not
> concern me, per se, and so I cannot add my name to it.

Me too.

> But as a Linux user I take the view that the freedom of choice which
> Linux provides should be promoted. It is most regrettable, however,
> that one has to go to such extremes as putting together a petition to
> have the concept of a "free market" - in the land which preaches
> "free market" as the only path to everlasting life - put into
> practice.
>
> But from your opening sentence it seems that you don't really care all
> that much about Linux and which is why I asked why you bother to read
> this list.

Well, maybe I didn't choose the right words, so you got the wrong
impression. Promoting the freedom of choice is fine by me. But please
use the appropriate place which is certainly not this list because that
campaign has nothing to do with "Ubuntu user technical support". It is
not even about Linux, but about ODF, which is an OS independent document
standard.

Nils