Trying to boot for installation

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 8 21:02:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-08 16:20 (GMT-0400) George Reinhart composed:

>> Anyway, no, neither memory speed nor bus speed are the info we are
>> asking for, which is *CPU* speed. If you type your asset tag number
>> into the form at support.dell.com it should tell you the full
>> specification of your PC.

IOW, plug that seven character "number" into a Dell Support web page and you
and subsequently we will have access to all its specs.

> I'm looking at that on the setup screen right now, and all it says is
> (and I quote) "CPU Speed....NORMAL".  Which didn't seem like it would be
> much help.

>> You have also not specified what model of CPU it has, nor what you
>> mean by "plenty of disk space". This would be useful info.

> Don't if this is the CPU model, but "processor ID" is F27.

I think that will turn out to be a Northwood P4. The old GX260 I test with
reports 2.4GHZ F29 on 533 bus.

> Drive model WDC WD200BB-75CAA0
> Capacity 20000MB.  (And at the moment it's completely empty.)

20GB PATA, adequate for basic PC functions, but not moving video stuff. Dell
sold a lot of Optiplex GX240 and GX260 using those to businesses.

Based on the F27 and the 20GB HD size, I'm afraid you shouldn't expect much
from that DHP. With 1GB installed, it's probably fully populated using DDR
RAM rather than slower PC133. It's only going to be about 3 or so years newer
than the antique GX1. If it has a separate video card instead of onboard
Intel video (probably 845G if it has; probably Radeon 7000 or 7500 if not)
you can expect somewhat better, but not anything anyone hardware savvy would
pay $5 to get.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/