Trying to boot for installation

George Reinhart george at NetWind.org
Mon Apr 8 20:20:29 UTC 2013

At 03:52 PM  4/8/2013 you wrote:
> On 8 April 2013 20:44, George Reinhart <george at netwind.org> wrote:
> >
> > You are correct.  The 266MHz is "System memory speed".  I'm guessing
> you're
> > referring to what the setup menu calls "bus speed", which is 533 MHz.
>
> You seem to be ignoring me and my posts; I am not sure why. So much
> for trying to help.

Sorry.

> Anyway, no, neither memory speed nor bus speed are the info we are
> asking for, which is *CPU* speed. If you type your asset tag number
> into the form at support.dell.com it should tell you the full
> specification of your PC.

I'm looking at that on the setup screen right now, and all it says is
(and I quote) "CPU Speed....NORMAL".  Which didn't seem like it would be
much help.

> You have also not specified what model of CPU it has, nor what you
> mean by "plenty of disk space". This would be useful info.

Don't if this is the CPU model, but "processor ID" is F27.
Drive model WDC WD200BB-75CAA0
Capacity 20000MB.  (And at the moment it's completely empty.)

> > Yes, only a reader, not a burner.  And no DVD reader.
>
> Then no version of Ubuntu will fit except Lubuntu.
>
> Alternatively, if you have a fast broadband connection, you could boot
> off the mini-net-install disk and install Ubuntu off the Internet -
> but I do not think that you have the technical skills to do this, I'm
> afraid.

Any more, possibly not.  I made my living for 30 years in what is now
called "IT". /Was/ software engineering.  But that ended about twelve
years ago.  I think though that this is likely to be the only workable
option.

> Do you have a 1GB or bigger USB key spare?

Yes.

> Using Unetbootin on Windows, you could transfer your ISO onto a USB
> thumbdrive and make it bootable. Copying the ISO file onto it will not
> do this, though.
>
> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Except that (sigh) booting from USB is not an available option.