Trying to boot for installation

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 19:52:16 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 20:44, George Reinhart <george at netwind.org> wrote:

> You are correct.  The 266MHz is "System memory speed".  I'm guessing you're
> referring to what the setup menu calls "bus speed", which is 533 MHz.

You seem to be ignoring me and my posts; I am not sure why. So much
for trying to help.

Anyway, no, neither memory speed nor bus speed are the info we are
asking for, which is *CPU* speed. If you type your asset tag number
into the form at support.dell.com it should tell you the full
specification of your PC.

You have also not specified what model of CPU it has, nor what you
mean by "plenty of disk space". This would be useful info.

> Yes, only a reader, not a burner.  And no DVD reader.

Then no version of Ubuntu will fit except Lubuntu.

Alternatively, if you have a fast broadband connection, you could boot
off the mini-net-install disk and install Ubuntu off the Internet -
but I do not think that you have the technical skills to do this, I'm
afraid.

Do you have a 1GB or bigger USB key spare?

Using Unetbootin on Windows, you could transfer your ISO onto a USB
thumbdrive and make it bootable. Copying the ISO file onto it will not
do this, though.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884