GNOME Shell software rendering - how to tell?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 19:28:40 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 19:39, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running the Ubuntu GNOME Remix (13.04 beta 2) under the latest
> version of VirtualBox on Ubunt 13.04 beta 2.
>
> How can one tell if it is using the (emulated, virtual) hardware 3D
> acceleration or software LLVM rendering?

I think I have found this now.

Install the `mesa-utils` package and then look at the first page of
the output of `glxinfo`.

Ignore DRISWRAST in the /var/messages/Xorg.0.log file - it's a red
herring, it seems to always be there.

I used the hints here:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51727&start=15

& here:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51727#p238979

... to get it working.

Interestingly, the frame rate shown with `glxgears` has gone way down,
from ~175 to ~85, but actual output is much smoother.

I have found that I get severe display corruption unless I use
fullscreen mode, though. There is still some slight corruption in this
mode, but it is acceptable.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884