Trying to boot for installation

George Reinhart george at NetWind.org
Mon Apr 8 17:21:57 UTC 2013

At 12:59 PM  4/8/2013 you wrote:
> On 2013-04-08 12:31 (GMT-0400) George Reinhart composed:
>
>>  I clicked on the link "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD
>> <http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso>",
>> which led to an ISO file.  My current "main" machine (a Dell OptiPlex
>> GX1 running Win2000Pro)  has no idea what to do with that file.
>
> Liam Proven in another response to your OP gave a URL to what you need
> to do. It recommends you install the program from
> http://infrarecorder.org/ to use to make the CD from the .iso you
> downloaded. "No idea what to do with that file" sounds like you have
> no CD writing software installed on your GX1. If the CD writer in your
> GX1 was installed by Dell, there should have been some kind of CD
> writing software installed originally. If you added the CD writer
> yourself or someone else did it later, it should have come with
> software to add to W2K for the purpose.
>
> CD writing software is not a standard W2K component, so would have to
> be added separately after any reinstallation of W2K from the Windows
> 2000 CD that used to ship with Dell Optiplex machines.
>
> How much RAM does your GX1 have installed? What speed is its CPU?
> You're virtually certain not to be pleased with a standard Ubuntu
> installation if RAM is only 256M and/or the CPU is only 800MHz or
> less. The SDRAM in those machines is only 100MHz, so they are very
> slow by modern standards. IIRC, my only GX1 is only 600MHz. It's very
> sluggish, running X. You may be OK with Xubuntu or a genuinely
> lightweight distro made for old machines with low installed RAM. How
> slow is slow is a rather personal thing.

No, the GX1 is not the "target" machine.  That's a Dell DHP, 1024 MB
RAM, 266Mhz processor, and plenty of empty hard disk, with no OS on it
at all.  My wife's old XP machine has a CD burner on it, but we don't
have anything with a DVD burner, and the DHP doesn't even have a DVD
reader.  We're trying to get to the point where the various things
necessary to our lives will all run on some /single/ machine, which is
what I'm hoping to get to with Linix.  What I need optimally is some
relatively small program that can run from a CD, access the .ISO file on
a USB stick, and go from there.

~GR