Trying to boot for installation

George Reinhart george at NetWind.org
Mon Apr 8 16:31:45 UTC 2013

 From Felix Miata
mrmazda at earthlink.net
<mailto:ubuntu-users%40lists.ubuntu.com?Subject=Re%3A%20Trying%20to%20boot%20for%20installation&In-Reply-To=%3C5162D590.6020104%40earthlink.net%3E>
Mon Apr 8 14:34:56 UTC 2013
 >  Exactly how did you go about getting the .iso onto the CD? An .iso
isn't a
 >  file that you copy onto a CD. It has to subsume the CD by a special
"burning"
 >  process. Exactly how that's done depends on the program you use to
do it with.
 >  --
 >  "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
 >  words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
 >
 >  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
 >
 >  Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Sorry, but I have no idea what tool to use to "unpack" an .ISO file.  To
quote the instructions at <http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/>,

          Desktop CD

    The desktop CD allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your
    computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later.
    This type of CD is what most people will want to use. You will need
    at least 384MiB of RAM to install from this CD.

    There are two images available, each for a different type of computer:

    PC (Intel x86) desktop CD
    <http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso>
        For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with
        Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run
        Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems
        based on Intel processors. Choose this if you are at all unsure.

So I clicked on the link "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD
<http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso>",
which led to an ISO file.  My current "main" machine (a Dell OptiPlex
GX1 running Win2000Pro)  has no idea what to do with that file.