Trying to boot for installation

William Scott Lockwood III vladinator at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:30:00 UTC 2013

On Apr 8, 2013 9:21 AM, "George Reinhart" <george at netwind.org> wrote:

> I'm moving into Linux for the first time, though I was a Unix user in the
80s.  Downloaded the current stable version, and found that at 753MB it was
too big to fit onto a 702MB CD.  So I looked back a bit and downloaded
ubuntu-12.04.2-alternate-i386.iso, which fit, figuring I'd upgrade after it
was installed.  This is going onto a Dell DHP, which is set to boot from CD
but doesn't have the option of booting from USB.

> So I start it up and it just repeatedly asks me if I want to retry the
boot.  Is the .iso supposed to be a bootable file?  If not, what else to I
need?  Will appreciate any help.

> ~GR

It sounds like to burned the iso file to a disk. The iso is an image that
you use to creat a bootable cd. Once you do that, it should boot just fine.