bottom posting with Gmail

Gary Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 06:47:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 March 2013 06:11, Gary Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gmail's new compose feature does not give us a way to bottom post.  Has
> > anyone found a solution?
>
> Sure, it's easy.
>
> If you are a keyboard jockey, as I am, do this:
>
> When you hit Reply & get the new compose-in-a-subwindow inside the
> Gmail window, press Ctrl-A to select all.
>
> This automagically "expands" the quoted text hidden behind the
> graphical [...] at the bottom of the compose subwindow.
>
> If you now try to go directly to the bottom, it gets confused, so
> don't. Press Ctrl-Home to go to the top of the edit area.
>
> Now, press Del 2 or 3 times to get rid of the leading blank lines it
> automatically inserts.
>
> Then, skip to the end with Ctrl-End, or hold down Shift and use the
> cursor keys to move down. This allows you to select text to delete in
> order to trim your reply.
>
> PgDn & PgUp work too but the app is very poor at updating the screen
> to show the selection. Usually, even if it does not show it, it is
> actually doing it and you can hit Del at the end to remove the
> selected text. If it gets it wrong, you can try Ctrl-Z to undo, but
> mostly, it's simpler to click the bin/trashcan button at the bottom
> and start over.
>
> Then once you've trimmed your quoted text, move to the bottom, delete
> the previous poster's sig if applicable, and then type your reply.
>
> NB: if you delete a block of text, it will often move the cursor to
> after your sig. This is a bug. I've reported it but it's been ignored
> for months. Please, more people report it and it might get fixed!
>
> Saying that, I'm not confident. Gmail is continually degrading with
> recent releases.
>
> It's significantly clunkier than it was before, but it does work.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

I do not own a home key.  So I am homeless.  I am less of a fan of gmail
than I was.  They keep 'improving' it.  Your solution seems way too
complicated.  This should not be so difficult- maybe they need a bottom
post option.

Thank you Liam!  Someone will find this useful.

Oh, I have an ASUS 1025ce (i know, what a mistaka to makea cedarview-  ugh-
but working ok on 13.04) that I got here in Spain - which means I have a
Spanish keyboard and perhaps that is why I have no 'casa' key.

garyk