This does NOT go towards making a good impression :-(

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 6 14:39:28 UTC 2013

On 06/04/13 23:32, Colin Law wrote:
> On 6 April 2013 11:52, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> OK, I have taken very careful, meticulous and detailed notes when doing what
>> you requested. And these copious notes are:
>>
>> 1. I insert in the DVDRW device the Alternate 12.04.2 DVD [a.k.a CD] and
>> boot the system;
>>
>> 2. the computer boots into the system on the DVD, and, using the keyboard[#]
>> up/down keys, I select the Install option;
>>
>> 3. on the screen - ie the monitor screen (I must mention this for those who
>> are pedants and who may think that I am speaking about the car's windscreen)
>> - appears a list of languages and the English language is highlighted as the
>> default language to use for the installation;
>>
>> 4. the system is frozen. The only responsive parts to any stimulation at
>> this point are my arms, legs, eyes, and a few other personal dangly bits -
>> but Alternate 12.04.2 is locked solid.
>>
>> [#] Lest there be questions re this, the k/board and mouse are Logitech
>> 'Wave' wireless combo - with freshly recharged VARTA brand AA rechargeable
>> batteries. And the current ambient temperature in the room is 23C - just in
>> case any one wants to know.
> I wonder if it could be
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/1161245
> (Logitech K400 not working in ubuntu alternate image)
>
> Have you got another keyboard you could try it with, and if it is the
> keyboard then add comments on that bug?
>
> Colin

Thanks Colin. I will check this chksum thing later today after I get
some sleep.

(But to start with, my k/board is not a K400. Nevertheless!.....all
possible causes of failure must be investigated and reported on! :-) )

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.2 & kernel 3.8.6-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor