Ubuntu Studio Install Gone Bad

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 4 20:49:13 UTC 2013

On 4 April 2013 19:17,  <ubuntu at e-pops.org> wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu Studio 13.10, but it's giving me virtually nothing
> but a background for the desktop... no links, bars, nothing... Here's what
> I've gotten so far.
>
> 1. I'd downloaded the OSI image.
> 2. Burned it to a DVD at slowest speed.
> 3. Installed it onto my other computer.
>
> Problems found:
>
> 1. I cannot enter my password without first hitting the "Num Lock", and then
> I have to use the number keypad for numbers, rather the numbers at the top
> of my qwerty.
> 2. I get the warning that "The application Compiz has closed unexpectedly.
> 3. Then when it goes to the desktop, there is nothing but the desktop image;
> no bar of menues, no links, no nothing.

If you are doing this to test 13.10 (which is not released yet) then I
suggest first running off the standard Ubuntu live image for 13.10 to
make sure that is ok.  If you actually want a stable system then go
for 12.04.

> I'd done this all twice, from a different download place, just in case the
> first one was corrupted.

With the standard image if you hit a key when it shows an icon for a
keyboard and a little man at the bottom of the screen, right at the
start of the boot, then you can select an option to check that DVD is
correctly burned.  I don't know about Studio thought.

Colin