GRUB_DEFAULT default (not a typo)

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Thu Apr 4 16:34:25 UTC 2013

On 04/04/2013 10:52 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 4 April 2013 16:46, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been following another discussion, "Changing grub default boot order"
>> and took a look at /etc/default/grub, where the line
>>     GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
>> appeared.  I don't think I put that there, but I could not swear to it.  I
>> seem to recall that this setting used to cause GRUB to remember the last
>> entry used and to use it again by default.  That is not happening on my
>> machine, a fresh Xubuntu install of 12.04.
>>
>> Instead, GRUB always defaults to entry 0, and I have to change it to entry 5
>> because entry 0 is bogus, GRUB having picked up some historical artifacts
>> and put them in the menu.
>
> To quote from [1] (google is great isn't it)
> "Saving an OS can be achieved by running sudo grub-set-default if
> GRUB_DEFAULT=saved is set in /etc/default/grub. It may also be saved
> if GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true is also set in /etc/default/grub. In this
> case, the default OS remains until a new OS is manually selected from
> the GRUB 2 menu or the grub-set-default command is executed."
>
> I have not tried it myself.
> Colin
>
> [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

I may have started that discussion. I have 2 hard drives with a bootable
OS on each (Ubuntu 10.04 & 12.04).  I just checked and I do not have
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved on either one of them. To get any changes I made to
GRUB_DEFAULT=(some number) to take effect I had to change it on both OS's.

Regards,  JIm