GRUB_DEFAULT default (not a typo)

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 4 15:52:55 UTC 2013

On 4 April 2013 16:46, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been following another discussion, "Changing grub default boot order"
> and took a look at /etc/default/grub, where the line
>    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
> appeared.  I don't think I put that there, but I could not swear to it.  I
> seem to recall that this setting used to cause GRUB to remember the last
> entry used and to use it again by default.  That is not happening on my
> machine, a fresh Xubuntu install of 12.04.
>
> Instead, GRUB always defaults to entry 0, and I have to change it to entry 5
> because entry 0 is bogus, GRUB having picked up some historical artifacts
> and put them in the menu.

To quote from [1] (google is great isn't it)
"Saving an OS can be achieved by running sudo grub-set-default if
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved is set in /etc/default/grub. It may also be saved
if GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true is also set in /etc/default/grub. In this
case, the default OS remains until a new OS is manually selected from
the GRUB 2 menu or the grub-set-default command is executed."

I have not tried it myself.
Colin

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2