trubleshooting a laptop

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 23:43:19 UTC 2013

- - - - -

If you are getting your news from social media, Comedy Central, or MTV -
you are already living in The Matrix. - - - - - *Nothing in the world is
more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.*
Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

“We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the
national security objectives that we’ve set,  We’ve got to have a civilian
national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as
well-funded.” Barack Hussein Obama - 2008

“If men are not governed by God, they will be ruled by tyrants.”  William
Penn, founder of Pennsylvania   - - - - - “The wicked walk on every side,
when the vilest men are exalted” (Psalm 12:8)“  - - - - -

Monster =  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP4tRUuqUY

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net>wrote:

> On 03/27/2013 07:12 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >> make sure she brings her Office installation CD or DVD with her as
> >> you'll need it to reinstall.
> > On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 16:28 -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> >> I think she told me the shop who worked on her computer did not give
> >> her a Windows CD.
> > As per my previous email, she won't need a _Windows_ CD.  Wine does not
> > use any Windows system software.
> >
> > She will need a _Microsoft Office_ CD or DVD if she wants to run Office
> > on Linux.
> > Cheers!
> >

>         WEll guys this didn't turn out anything like i expected. She
> Brought me the laptop. She had bought a new one.  She said she3 was sick
> of the thing giving her problems and it is old.  She also bought a
> $99.00  service from Best Buy Geek Squad to diagnose and clean up the
> machine from cookies, virouses and etc.  I really think she was afraid
> to let the old man mess with her laptop.  I installed Ubuntu and it says
> the hard drive is failing. I took it to the Geek Squad to run some
> diagnostics on it.  The guy said if Linux says the hard drive is failing
> it likely is.  I have to buy a hard drive  and it is an  IDE drive so
> they seem to be more expensive now.  I will likely find one used or
> rebuilt.  I will also have to put in a new battery.  The machine has
> Windows 7 in it and I will want it to be a dual boot machine with Ubuntu
> on it. It has a 80 gig drive and I would like to put something bigger in
> it.  Maybe a 150 gig drive The machine is a Dell Inspiron  6000. Does
> anyone have any idea if it can use a drive that big.  I want to use it
> on my sailboat and I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a new
> one to be eaten up by moisture.  Any advice anyone can give will be
> appreciated.              Thanks  Doug
>
> --
>                  Doug Pollard,
>       Sailor, Machinst, writer,artist
>                 Visit me at:
>
>      http://sailboatsfairandfine.blogspot.com/
>      http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=0sujnvIV4g4

I f you will be using it in a high moisture/corrosion environment might I
suggest a storage container such as a Tupperware type box that will seal
tightly and keep moisture out?
Keep a desiccant product in the box and this will extend the useful life
considerably.
A cloth bag with rice will work for starters or you can buy dedicated
moisture removing products on the web.
Ed
On the Mojave