trubleshooting a laptop

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 3 21:39:38 UTC 2013

On 03/27/2013 07:12 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> I wrote:
>> make sure she brings her Office installation CD or DVD with her as
>> you'll need it to reinstall.
> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 16:28 -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>> I think she told me the shop who worked on her computer did not give
>> her a Windows CD.
> As per my previous email, she won't need a _Windows_ CD.  Wine does not
> use any Windows system software.
>
> She will need a _Microsoft Office_ CD or DVD if she wants to run Office
> on Linux.
> Cheers!

        WEll guys this didn't turn out anything like i expected. She
Brought me the laptop. She had bought a new one.  She said she3 was sick
of the thing giving her problems and it is old.  She also bought a
$99.00  service from Best Buy Geek Squad to diagnose and clean up the
machine from cookies, virouses and etc.  I really think she was afraid
to let the old man mess with her laptop.  I installed Ubuntu and it says
the hard drive is failing. I took it to the Geek Squad to run some
diagnostics on it.  The guy said if Linux says the hard drive is failing
it likely is.  I have to buy a hard drive  and it is an  IDE drive so
they seem to be more expensive now.  I will likely find one used or
rebuilt.  I will also have to put in a new battery.  The machine has
Windows 7 in it and I will want it to be a dual boot machine with Ubuntu
on it. It has a 80 gig drive and I would like to put something bigger in
it.  Maybe a 150 gig drive The machine is a Dell Inspiron  6000. Does
anyone have any idea if it can use a drive that big.  I want to use it
on my sailboat and I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a new
one to be eaten up by moisture.  Any advice anyone can give will be
appreciated.              Thanks  Doug

--
                 Doug Pollard,
      Sailor, Machinst, writer,artist