NoMachine NX on Ubuntu 12.10

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 3 14:41:33 UTC 2013

On 04/02/2013 11:25 PM, Keith wrote:
> On 03/04/13 08:52, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

>>> Can you SSH from your MAC to the Ubuntu *without* using the NX client?
>>>
>>> It does look like the authentication you have configured for SSH is not
>>> setup correctly. I recently tested NX from an Ubuntu to Ubuntu system
>>> and it worked very well, and all I did from memory was setup SSH server
>>> on Ubuntu box I wanted to connect to copied the SSH key over from the
>>> client.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Keith
>>>

>>     Yeah, setup & tested the SSH first. First I was able to connect
>> supplying the password; then I generated & copied the keys over, and
>> turned off password auth in the SSH config. Still worked.
>>     Looking at the NX output above, it says "Authenticating user: nx".
>> but in the NX client setup, I typed in the Ubuntu username. What gives
>> there?
>>

> I just setup another test from my Ubuntu laptop to a test Ubuntu VM
> laptop running 12.10 and vm 12.04.  Was able to connect no problem,
> although I did forget and wondered why I started using XRDP instead,
> NoMachine doesn't support Unity, so you will need to either setup Gnome
> or Kubuntu etc. I think the next version of NX for Linux will support
> Unity.

	I have Gnome3/Shell installed, so the Unity issue shouldn't be a worry
for me. I think.

> Your problem though seems to be with  authentication of a nx user, and I
> remember something about this in the docs last time, just to be sure I
> assume you are entering the username into the NXClient app on your mac
> of a user on the Ubuntu machine? Otherwise take a look at this:
> http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR10B00046

	Hmmm, this looks very interesting. I'll have to give this a look-see.
Thanks much.

> By the way, do you really need to use NX, what about doing what I did
> and installing XRDP on Ubuntu and then running an RDP client from your
> MAC, it's very fast... just not as secure, although I think you can also
> set this up via SSH too.

	No, not really, just something simple; akin to using Remote Desktop
Connection for Windows -> Windows. From what (little) I understand of
VNC, I have to be logged in to the GUI on the Ubuntu box, and I don't
have much choice about the screen size on the Mac. Whereas with RDP, the
Windows host only needs to be booted (no user logged in locally); and
the RDC client can choose whatever screen resolution it wants and can go
full screen over dual monitors.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818