boot menu

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 05:52:24 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-03 15:48 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

> If, for example, you want to change the name of the distro - which
> appears in the boot grub menu (for example, from Ubuntu to Freddy) - or
> alter the time-out or the *order* of which distro gets booted
> automatically without your manual intervention, then you modify
> /etc/default/grub and then run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> (this, btw, is equivalent to running grub-update but as grub2 is now the
> default and has replaced grub (legacy) I, personally, prefer to keep to
> using the one terminology).
> Using openSUSE 12.3 ...

If you're actually booted to openSUSE, or any other distro that supports both
Grub Legacy and Grub2, regardless whether only Grub2 is installed, what you
wrote won't work. In such cases there must be a 2 involved, such as
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg or grub2-mkconfig, another of the reasons why I
previously wrote what I wrote about cake.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/