Wodim unable to write on DL DVD Drive

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 00:24:23 UTC 2013

On 04/02/2013 03:46 PM, Preston Hagar wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jd1008 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 04/02/2013 11:39 AM, Preston Hagar wrote:
>

>         ... jd's message snipped ...
>

>         That is weird.  The best I can find is that possibly your iso
>         file is corrupted.   One option you might want to look into is
>         first run
>
>         mkisofs -print-size dvd.iso
>
>         make a note of the size it give you, then try the command
>
>         cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 tsize=XXXXs speed=2 -sao dvd.iso
>
>         where you replace XXXX with the number you got from the
>         mkisofs command (be sure to include the s at the end)
>
>         or even perhaps try with -raw96r instead of -sao
>
>         There also is some indication at the end of the cdrecord man
>         page that the error you pointed out isn't necessarily bad, but
>         it isn't something I have come across before.
>
>         Sorry I can't be of more help.
>
>         Preston
>
>     /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs  -print-size dvd.iso
>     Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
>     mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File dvd.iso is
>     too large for current mkisofs settings - ignoring
>     Total extents scheduled to be written = 174
>     174
>
>     So, Shcilly's mkisofs seems to be broken.
>     Strange that Schilly has not seen this problem and fixed it!
>
>     The iso file size is:
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 jd jd 4897970176 Mar 31 08:34 dvd.iso
>

> Just found this:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrtools/+bug/30033
>
> Try running it again like this:
>
> mkisofs -iso-level 3  -print-size dvd.iso
>
> If that doesn't work, try
>
> mkisofs -iso-level 4  -print-size dvd.iso
>
> Preston

$ /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs -iso-level 3 -print-size dvd.iso
Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
Total extents scheduled to be written = 2391761
2391761

$ /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs -iso-level 4 -print-size dvd.iso
Warning: Creating ISO-9660:1999 (version 2) filesystem.
Warning: ISO-9660 filenames longer than 31 may cause buffer overflows in
the OS.
Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
Total extents scheduled to be written = 2391762
2391762

Why the difference in output?