can't access a link in folder

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Apr 2 19:01:24 UTC 2013

rikona wrote:
> Saturday, March 30, 2013, 2:16:55 PM, Nils wrote:
> > What I didn't mention in the previous mail: If you want to use
> > symlinks across file systems on your Linux machine, they have to be
> > mounted in the same exported directory tree. If you would export
> > separate directory trees Windows would access them as separate
> > devices (e.g. G: and H:) and links wouldn't work because the links
> > on the Linux side don't know about the separate Windows device
> > names.
>
> I think what I'm trying to do may be okay, but it might be worthwhile
> to describe some of the details of what I'm trying to do just to make
> sure. The Linux directory would be a single directory containing both
> data and links. The links in this directory would refer to files on
> the same machine, files in a different directory on the same machine,
> other directories on the same machine,

That should not be a problem as long as they are on the same shared
directory tree. Example:

Your exported directory is "/data" and that is mounted as G: on your
Windows machine(s). Your directory with the many symlinks and other data
is in "/data/interestingstuff". Then every symlink from this directory
with a path starting with "/data" would work but not a link to e.g
"/media".

> and files and directories on
> multiple Windows and Linux boxes.

I'm not so sure that this would work. How would you refer to those other
machines? Would that be files on samba shares?

> I am estimating about 50 to 100
> links and several hundred data files in this single directory.

The number of files / links should not matter.

> I think of it as a single place one can go to to simplify moving
> information in specific places on one machine to specific places on
> another machine. Would your comments above restrict any of the
> functions I am trying to achieve?

Well, in the past I thought you wanted to share data from one machine
and access them from multiple remote machines. But above you also
mentioned files / directories on multiple Linux and Windows machines.
That would be a possible problem for links in a NFS share.

Thinking about it a bit more, here is another idea: On those machines
with interesting stuff you could run HTTP servers which have access to
the data and then use a browser to access the data. That would make the
links OS independent.

Nils