can't access a link in folder

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Apr 2 18:14:38 UTC 2013

Hello Amichai,

Saturday, March 30, 2013, 11:33:23 PM, Amichai wrote:

> A simpler way to do what you want is to stick with SAMBA, then:

> On the Linux side -  share the folders you want (the actual folders - not
> the symlinks).
> On the Windows box - Mount the shares as network drives and create the
> relevant shortcuts (=symlinks) to the folders.

> This technique will last longer, compatibility-wise...

I agree, but the single Linux folder I am thinking of would have 50 to
100 links in it. If each of these folders were separately mounted as
network drives on the Windows machine, I would have to set up 50 to
100 network drives on each Windows machine. At any one time, only a
dozen or so of these would actually be used. Also, if I need to add or
delete what would've been a single link in a single directory, this
would require adding or deleting multiple network drives on multiple
machines. This is, in part, what I was trying to avoid having to do.

Thanks very much for the suggestion - I was hoping to do that in a
simpler way with SAMBA if the links worked.

--

 rikona