Wodim unable to write on DL DVD Drive

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 04:36:03 UTC 2013

On 04/01/2013 03:41 PM, Preston Hagar wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ubuntu 12.10 - latest updates
>> K3b: 2.0.2 (it also failed)
>> Wodim 1.1.11
>> So, +R should work??
>> I will look for -R DL media locally.
>> Maybe a wodim or k3b developer will see this and offer some insight.
>>
> Short answer:
>
> 1.  Add this PPA to your source.list
>
> https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools
>
> 2. apt-get update
>
> 3.   apt-get remove wodim
>       apt-get install cdrecord
>       apt-get install mkisofs
>
> Try the burn again.
>

> Long version:
>
> Don't use wodim, it is terrible and not really maintained.
>
> Up until around 2006, pretty much everyone used CDRTools from Jörg
> Schilling.  Then, Debian decided that the CDRTools CDDL license was
> incompatible with GPL software, and forked it to create CDRKit (now
> wodim I think).  Development of CDRKit stopped a few months after
> forking and has stayed pretty much stagnant for since then (with no
> new updates for newer burners, etc.).
>
> If you are having trouble burning CDs or DVDs, or even are getting
> infrequent burn errors, I would recommend using CDRTools instead of
> CDRKit.  You can get it through the PPA here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools
>
> To check to see which version of the burning libraries you currently
> have installed, run
>
> cdrecord -version
>
> from the command line.  It should be newer than 2.01.01a09 and have
> the copyright year and Jorg Schilling's name in it.  If you don't see
> that, or are unsure, try CDRTools from the ppa.  Once installed, you
> might need to double check that K3B or Brasero or whatever is pointed
> to the right library.  You can either apt-get uninstall woodim or just
> make sure which library K3B is pointed to.
>
> If you want to read some from Jorg Schilling's point of view, here is
> his web page about it:
>
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
>

> Preston

OK Downloaded latest cdrtools from the repo.
# cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a08 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2012 Joerg Schilling

Loaded a brand new  blank DVD+R DL into the drive.

# cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 speed=2 dvd.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Assuming -sao mode.
cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a08 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2012 Joerg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'Slimtype'
Identifikation : 'DVD A  DS8A1P   '
Revision       : 'CH71'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD+R/DL (current)
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
Profile: DVD-RAM
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-ROM
Profile: Removable Disk
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+R driver (mmc_dvdplusr).
Driver flags   : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
Drive buf size : 1029888 = 1005 KB
cdrecord: Warning: Cannot read drive buffer.
cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been skipped.
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data  4671 MB
Total size:     4671 MB = 2391587 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
Blocks total: 4173824 Blocks current: 4173824 Blocks remaining: 1782237
Reducing transfer size from 64512 to 32768 bytes.
Forcespeed is OFF.
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 2 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
cdrecord: Input/output error. send dvd structure: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  BF 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 0C 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 27 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x27 Qual 0x00 (write protected) Fru 0x0 <<<<< What the heck
is this???
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.314s timeout 240s
cdrecord: Cannot open next track.
Writing  time:    0.345s
Average write speed 999.0x.
Fixating...
Fixating time:    0.017s
cdrecord: fifo had 128 puts and 0 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.