This does NOT go towards making a good impression :-(

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 1 13:52:55 UTC 2013

On 02/04/13 00:20, Colin Law wrote:
> On 1 April 2013 13:47, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

>>> OK, no problem.

>>> I am sure we have all had days like that :(
>>
>> You are being kind and I thank you for it.
>>

>>> What I wrote about trying to use the Alternate version of 12.04.2 is as I
>>> described: I booted into the CD (DVD in fact as I mentioned) and after
>>> pressing ENTER against the INSTALL option and then pressing ENTER against
>>> the default English language on the list of available languages, the whole
>>> thing simply froze - "never to go again". Pressing all the available keys
>>> on
>>> the keyboard did nothing. The only button on the computer which actually
>>> made things happen was the RESET button on the computer.
>>> That is strange, particularly as the install from the desktop CD went
>>> ok, so it is apparently not an incompatibility between ubuntu and your
>>> hardware.
>>>
>>> That will just have to go down of the list of the great unsolved
>>> mysteries of the universe I suppose.
>>
>> These mysteries happen from time to time of course but I would have thought
>> that this one would have been picked up by now -seeing as how 12.04.2 was
>> released, what, way back in April 2012? - which makes me conclude that
>> contrary to all the hype about Ubuntu not many people have bothered with
>> Ubuntu, or at least with the x86_64 Alternate version.
> I can't believe that the alternate installer just doesn't work at all.
>   That would surely have been noticed.
>
> Colin

Exactly what I would have thought and did think.

But I can assure you that what I stated is what I experienced. And if
you want to know what system I am using then look at the signature line
at the end of this message.

Oh, I forgot: some mailers are brain-dead and don't display the sig line
so, to play it safe here is what it shows:

Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

BC