This does NOT go towards making a good impression :-(

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 1 12:47:46 UTC 2013

On 01/04/13 23:21, Colin Law wrote:
> On 1 April 2013 12:44, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> Colin,
>>
>> Sorry if I have shown some shortness or disrespect in my response. I know
>> that you are trying to help and I appreciate it.
> OK, no problem.
>
>> For my part my response, or responses over the past day or so but especially
>> the past several hours have been affected by personal circumstances which I
>> don't wish to go into except to say that I am sorry that they have affected
>> my behaviour.
> I am sure we have all had days like that :(

You are being kind and I thank you for it.

> What I wrote about trying to use the Alternate version of 12.04.2 is as I
> described: I booted into the CD (DVD in fact as I mentioned) and after
> pressing ENTER against the INSTALL option and then pressing ENTER against
> the default English language on the list of available languages, the whole
> thing simply froze - "never to go again". Pressing all the available keys on
> the keyboard did nothing. The only button on the computer which actually
> made things happen was the RESET button on the computer.
> That is strange, particularly as the install from the desktop CD went
> ok, so it is apparently not an incompatibility between ubuntu and your
> hardware.
>
> That will just have to go down of the list of the great unsolved
> mysteries of the universe I suppose.

These mysteries happen from time to time of course but I would have
thought that this one would have been picked up by now -seeing as how
12.04.2 was released, what, way back in April 2012? - which makes me
conclude that contrary to all the hype about Ubuntu not many people have
bothered with Ubuntu, or at least with the x86_64 Alternate version.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor