posting a reply to a thread strangeness

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 11:48:10 UTC 2013

On 1 April 2013 21:30, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On 01/04/13 17:59, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>> On 04/01/2013 01:40 AM, Jared Norris wrote:
>>

>>> On 1 April 2013 14:51, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com <mailto:jd1008 at gmail.com>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     At 9:36 Mountain Standard Time, I posted a reply
>>>     to Bill ChuppinRe: Wodim unable to write on DL DVD Drive
>>>
>>>     I received a notification from gmail:
>>>
>> <snippage>
>>
>>>     ---------------------
>>>       So, has the ubuntu list been hacked?
>>>     Or what's causing this?
>>>
>>> Nothing to do with the list unfortunately. Without seeing the full
>>> headers I can only make enlightened guesses but from what I can see
>>> you've emailed the list back. For whatever reason one of the users on
>>> the list (connected to billmerriam.com <http://billmerriam.com>) has a
>>> mail server issue. The odd thing about this is that instead of reporting
>>> the bounce to the list administrators somehow or other it's reported it
>>> directly to you, the sender. The list administrators see regular
>>> messages like this and usually they fail silently (so the list isn't
>>> spammed with the issues). This is the first I've heard of the sender
>>> receiving directly responses as well. It might have something to do with
>>> the mail server set up on billmerriam.com <http://billmerriam.com>.
>>>
>>> The message itself is a standard message basically saying it's a
>>> temporary failure instead of a permanent failure, so it will keep trying
>>> to send the email for the number of attempts listed in the message body.
>>>

>> I got that in my inbox as well. Ric
>>

> And I received 3 such messages (the last time I looked).
>
> BC
>
> --
> Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.5-1 on a system with-
> AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
> 16GB PC14900/1866MHz Quad Channel Corsair "Vengeance" RAM
> Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX550Ti 1GB DDR5 GPU

I actually found a few in my spam folder after sending the earlier emails
to the list. As a result the email address I believe to be causing the
problem has been removed from the list pending a resolution to the issue.
They have also been directly advised of the problem.

Thanks for bringing this up, sorry for taking a while to track it down but
hopefully now it's all back to business as usual.

--
Regards,

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris