This does NOT go towards making a good impression :-(

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 1 09:46:07 UTC 2013

On 01/04/13 19:01, Colin Law wrote:
> On 1 April 2013 05:48, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> Seeing as how I try and help users here re their problems with Ubuntu, and
>> seeing as how I did once, long mong ago and in a galaxy far far away, use
>> Ubuntu for a short period, I thought that I would install a copy of 12.04
>> LTS.
>>
>> So, I downloaded a copy of the 86_64 iso but the only version which I can
>> find is something called 12.04.2. OK, I says to myself so it's 12.04.2.
>> Pish! No worries! But then I thought that I would refresh my memory about
>> the installation procedure because something at the back of my mind niggled
>> me about and "alternate" version which gave one more options when installing
>> - and I want to install this in a very special place and have the bootloader
>> in a special place. And so I go and download 12.04.2 Alternate iso. I burn
>> it to a DVD (a CD is too small) and I boot this DVD.
> As others have said, 12.04.2 is just 12.04 with later updates included
> to save downloading and installing them after installation.  Also as
> others have said if you have a 2G USB stick and can boot off USB then
> that is a better option as it runs much faster.  Instructions for
> burning a stick are on http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

This response is also aimed @ Jarred and Nils.

The point of my post is that the normal way for someone interested in
trying out a new distro is to follow ones' nose and download and use
what is readily available and what one is pointed to when, say, going to
the main page of the site which spouts the merits of the distro - as is
the case of Ubuntu.

One would need to be well versed in how to put the Live CD, for example,
onto an USB stick to be able to either run Ubuntu in Live mode or even
to install it.

You are speaking like the typical people who know what you doing and not
someone who knows nothing but has heard the Siren's call and decided to
try out Ubuntu - and following the Siren's call they hit a brick wall
when they download the Alternate version of 12.04 - which is now called
12.04.2 which, as you all state, is an updated version of 12.04.

However, updated to what when one cannot use it to install Ubuntu? It's
a 702MB piece of useless 0s and 1s.

> The first thing I did after booting into 12.04.2 was to check the DVD for
> errors. Off it goes and checks itself for errors. There aren't any. And the
> message on the screen "tells" me to Continue. I press every known key to
> humanity but 12.04.2 just sits there - like someone turned into stone after
> looking at Medusa.
> I have not used the alternate image, was it the case that you had to
> tab round to the right field before hitting enter?

Colin, read my post. The whole thing FROZE and would not accept any
input of any kind from either mouse or keyboard.

> "OK", I thinks to meself, "these things can happen so
> let's just reboot and go for the jugular - the Install bit".
>
> And so I reboot, press ENTER on the preselected English language, the DVD
> whirls away and gets to the next screen ------ and the bloody thing freezes
> solid again! It just sits there like a stunned mullet!
> What was on the screen at this point?

Whatever the next option is in the installation process. I am not about
to retry the whole sheebang to see exactly what that was, sorry.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor