bottom posting with Gmail

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Apr 1 08:43:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 12:36:19AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> To the OP, you do know that at the initial setup of IMAP there is a
> considerable LAG until it finally syncs? Depending on your net
> connection, it could be awhile. I didn't have the patience nor other
> devices to share email with, so I just used POP. Much quicker for
> single user/knuckle-dragger at single machine. But, if you need to
> share your service across multiple devices, then IMAP is the way to
> go, IMHO. You will just have to wait until it settles out. Ric

I use a proper mail system!  :-)

I have mail delivered to my home server by SMTP, none of this collecting
with POP or IMAP.

It's the way Unix mail always used to work, POP[3] in particular only
came along when lots of people were using dial-up connections.  Now we
mostly have relatively fast ADSL connections etc. POP3 is really rather
a clumsy way of handling E-Mail.

... however I suspect this may be rather irrelevant to the present
discussion.

--
Chris Green