This does NOT go towards making a good impression :-(

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Apr 1 05:49:51 UTC 2013

Basil Chupin wrote:
> Wot a waste of download quota and time as well as a perfectly good DVD
> :-( .

Who uses CDs/DVDs if there are better options like
- CD-RW / DVD±RW if you can't boot from USB stick or
- USB stick for modern machines.
Granted, the first option isn't much better but you can later reuse the
medium.

> Anyway, I thought that getting the copy of the original 12.04 may do
> what I want but......guess what? There is no such thing as 12.04
> available - only 12.04.2.

Sure there is:
<http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/ubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso>

But it isn't easy to find it if you don't know where to look and there
is a good reason: 12.04.2 is 12.04 + the updates which were available
when 12.04.2 was released. That saves your download quota which you
complained above. Anyway, don't expect better results from that older
version. However you could try the available boot options you can select
if you hit the F6 key.

> Now the only thing I can try is to install the "standard" 12.04.2 and
> make sure that I am able to put the OS into the correct partition and
> the bootloader into the place I want it to go. If I cannot do this
> then - well, you know what will happen, right?

You can put the boot loader on a partition if you want but you have to
look carefully where you can set this option. I don't know where it is
because I don't use Ubuntu - for Kubuntu however it is at the
partitioning step right before you click "install now" or whatever the
button is labeled in English.

Nils