ubuntu12.04 only: version number does not start with digit

ping songpingemail at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 18:22:15 UTC 2012

On 09/28/2012 01:18 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/28/2012 09:26 AM, Preston Hagar wrote:
>>
>> sorry, it looks like I was a little short on the last command.  It
>> should have been:
>>
>> sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq dibbler-client
>>
>> That said, it looks like the package is trying to do a stop via the
>> init script and failing.  You might try, before running the dpkg
>> command, to do a
>>
>> /etc/init.d/dibbler-client stop
>>
>>   Next, I would try to do a
>> ps aux | grep dibb
>>
>> which should hopefully give you the processes of any dibbler-client
>> processes running.  You can then either do a
>>
>> killall dibbler-client
>>
>> or
>>
>> kill <pid>
>>
>> where <pid> is the process id number of the dibbler-client.  Then once
>> you are sure it isn't running, try again.  Hopefully this will do
>> it,but if not, post back.
>>
>> Preston
>>

> It appears that this is common problem with dibbler-client (google on
> "Stopping DHCPv6 client: invoke-rc.d: initscript"):
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dibbler/+bug/779857
> [Stopping DHCPv6 client: invoke-rc.d: initscript dibbler-client, action
> "stop" failed.]
>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=574624>
> [dibbler-client: after removing package with dselect impossible to purge
> it.]
> Message #10:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=10;bug=574624
> may contain a workaround worth trying.

Hi NoOp:
you are right, the issue looks because of a buggy code in the current
release of dibbler-client,  solution is to change:

/etc/init.d/dibbler-client line 48 from:

    48         ($DAEMON stop 2>&1 > /dev/null ; true)

to:

    48         ($DAEMON stop 2>&1 > /dev/null || true)

and after that it goes smooth.

thank you very much Preston and NoOp for your help!

ping at 640g-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
   libdirectfb-dev plasma-widget-kimpanel
   dibbler-client
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/365 kB of archives.
After this operation, 111 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package dibbler-client.
(Reading database ... 788020 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace dibbler-client 0.7.3-0.1 (using
.../dibbler-client_0.7.3-1.3_amd64.deb) ...
Stopping DHCPv6 client: dibbler-client.
Unpacking replacement dibbler-client ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Setting up dibbler-client (0.7.3-1.3) ...

Configuration file `/etc/init.d/dibbler-client'
  ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
  ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
       D     : show the differences between the versions
       Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
  The default action is to keep your current version.
*** dibbler-client (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? Y
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/dibbler-client ...
Replacing config file /etc/dibbler/client.conf with new version