ubuntu12.04 only: version number does not start with digit

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 16:26:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM, ping <songpingemail at gmail.com> wrote:

> ping at 640g-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove dibbler-client
> dpkg: error: unknown force/refuse option `remove'
>
> Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
> Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
> Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
> Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
> Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
>
> Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or
> `more' !
>

> ping at 640g-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --remove dibbler-client
> (Reading database ... 788018 files and directories currently installed.)
>
> Removing dibbler-client ...
> Stopping DHCPv6 client: invoke-rc.d: initscript dibbler-client, action
> "stop" failed.
> dpkg: error processing dibbler-client (--remove):
>  subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  dibbler-client

sorry, it looks like I was a little short on the last command.  It
should have been:

sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq dibbler-client

That said, it looks like the package is trying to do a stop via the
init script and failing.  You might try, before running the dpkg
command, to do a

/etc/init.d/dibbler-client stop

 Next, I would try to do a
ps aux | grep dibb

which should hopefully give you the processes of any dibbler-client
processes running.  You can then either do a

killall dibbler-client

or

kill <pid>

where <pid> is the process id number of the dibbler-client.  Then once
you are sure it isn't running, try again.  Hopefully this will do
it,but if not, post back.

Preston