Network Problems with Linux-Bridges after update

Paul Scheller pschelle at ipb-halle.de
Fri Sep 28 10:14:24 UTC 2012

Am 27.09.2012 16:51, schrieb Karl Auer:
> On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 15:50 +0200, Paul Scheller wrote:
>> setting ´sysctl net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables=0' prevents the
>> problem and the machine has full network access again.
>> This bug:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/procps/+bug/50093
>> is preventing me from using the workaround at the right place(adding it
>> to sysctl.conf) because the machine is subject to automated shutdowns
>> and boots (for power-saving) and there for it can not be done by hand too.
> The description of that bug contains a perfectly good workaround - run
> procps.sh twice. Just add another link to it in /etc/init.d/rc[2345].d
> with an appropriate name (like S40procps) and you should be good to go.
>
> Alternatively, add your own, new startup script that just does what you
> need, when you need it.
>
> Regards, K.

Thanks for your Replay
do you know if the sysctl setting gets available before the bridges get
configured because my bridges get their IP via dhcp which introduces an
additional 2 min delay in the already long booting time.
and it seems to break the start of ´libvirt-bin -d *-l*' because there
is no net device available for it to listen to (not yet tested)
So my Question is, when is the earliest point in the boot order to load
this sysctl setting successfully?
I also would like to minimize the number of Workarounds applied to the
Systems to ease documentation and later configuration.[1]

I also would like to know what is causing the problem in the first
place, for myself and maybe i need this info for documentation too.
Is there any possibility to see the Package flow between the physical
device and the bridge?
And one more question I ask myself is why it seems to not break for
other people?

Regards Paul

[1][OT]In my personal opinion it is also a bad habit to use a Workaround
to make an other Workaround work and I would like to avoid this[/OT]