CD/DVD tray refuses to stay open

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:23:16 UTC 2012

On 09/27/2012 09:37 AM, CJ Tres wrote:
> The subject line says it all.
>
> This just occurred out of the blue, no changes to settings or anything.
>
> I found a thread from 2009 where Mythbuntu users found a bug that
> (should) have fixed it:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7212#comment:2
>
> Some reported that it might be caused by mtd running as a daemon and
> killing mtd from a terminal stops the behavior.
>
> Didn't for me... "mtd:no process found"
>
> Other thread I've found have the opposite problem, the tray refuses to
> stay closed.
>
> "eject -t" says:
>> eject: tried to use `/media/cdrom' as device name but it is no block
>> device
>> eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

chances are that your CD/DVD is being referred to as /dev/cdrom1. I
think this occurs with an upgrade, where the existence of /dev/cdrom is
found so on this go around it is bumped up to /dev/cdrom1. I dimly
recall having to edit some obscure file to reset cdrom1 back to cdrom. I
think it was in hal or udev or something like that. Maddening, I know. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html