java / pulseaudio question

Knute Johnson ubuntu at knutejohnson.com
Sun Sep 23 15:26:57 UTC 2012

On 9/23/2012 4:15 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:15:13 -0700
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>
>> Richard:
>>
>> It works fine on my Oracle (used to be Sun) JDK 7 installations under XP
>> and Linux and on JDK 6 under XP (didn't have a 6 on Linux to try)  So
>> maybe it will work if you put a Sun JDK on your system.  When I look at
>> my Linux installation I have ALSA and that's what Java is using I think.
>>    So it could still be something to do with PulseAudio but I would
>> certainly try loading a Sun JDK to test it.  I'm including some Java
>> code that I use to look at audio files to see if they will play under
>> Java.
>
> Knute:
>
> Many thanks for your help on this. I removed the openjdk and installed the
> Sun/Oracle JDK 7 and it is now working fine.  It's a pity that Ubuntu
> doesn't use this version.  I've also discovered something else that doesn't
> work with openjdk but is fine with Sun/Oracle.
>
> - Richard.

I probably should have mentioned that the first thing I do when I load a
new Linux is to get rid of OpenJDK and replace it with Sun's.

If you are going to do any Java programming there are a couple of good
news groups, comp.lang.java.help and comp.lang.java.programmer.  There
are plenty of folks there that have knowledge of JavaSound and the
related API.

--

Knute Johnson