Fw: my ubuntu pc crashed twice in about 6 hours....

Rajeev Prasad rp.neuli at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 13:49:20 UTC 2012

yes, sometimes X does crash on this linux VM, but the only thing that affects is i have to re-logon to the GUI. the system keeps running and i can ssh into it fine. maybe it is due to low RAM (VM is allowed 1GB of RAM on a 4GB RAM system running a lot of XP apps)

but in this case, system is unresponsive to ping, ssh etc. and the vmplayer window in which it runs is not visible any more. So i say it is a crash. I do not see any core files though.

last night i removed a lot of old .gz log files from apache folder, it had old logs from 2010. i restarted the host PC also. i checked this morning, it is still running. i am also not seeing any rsyslog errors in the syslog log. maybe too many old log files were affecting rsyslog. it is too early to say i am good. i still do not know why rsyslog died and how I can prevent it. i also do not know why NTP is failing.

thank you.
Rajeev

$ grep -v "^$" ntp.conf|grep -v "^#"
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1
server ntp.ubuntu.com

$ cd /etc/default/
$ cat ntp
NTPD_OPTS='-g'

$ cat ntpdate
# The settings in this file are used by the program ntpdate-debian, but not
# by the upstream program ntpdate.

# Set to "yes" to take the server list from /etc/ntp.conf, from package ntp,
# so you only have to keep it in one place.
NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF=yes

# List of NTP servers to useĀ  (Separate multiple servers with spaces.)
# Not used if NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF is yes.
NTPSERVERS="ntp.ubuntu.com"

# Additional options to pass to ntpdate
NTPOPTIONS=""