chmod 444 *

KD kdall99 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 21:35:49 UTC 2012

William Scott Lockwood III <vladinator <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sep 21, 2012 4:00 PM, "Thufir" <hawat.thufir <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Under what conditions can this file get deleted?

Under the condition that the permissions of the directory containing it allow it.

> > thufir <at> dur:/var/spool/news/interesting.groups$
> > thufir <at> dur:/var/spool/news/interesting.groups$ ll /var/spool/news/
> > interesting.groups/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
> > -r--r--r-- 1 news news 0 Sep  9 23:37 /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/
> > gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
> > thufir <at> dur:/var/spool/news/interesting.groups$
> >

> > I want that this file can be read, but not deleted.  I looked through
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermission
> > but wasn't sure that I have the correct setting.

Well, that a non-existing wiki page provides only little enlightment, should
come as no surprise.
OTOH
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions
has all info.

> Now do chattr +i to the file.

Irrelevant. Whether or not a file may be deleted has nothing to do with the
permissions of the file itself - only the permissions of the directory
containing it matter.

--
KD