Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working

Steven Grace sgrace at pobox.com
Fri Sep 21 02:10:06 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 04:21 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

> As an experiment, I installed Xubuntu 12.04 to see if it is acceptable.
>   All in all, it is OK but I am getting absolutely no sound.  I read
> somewhere that XFCE and Pulse Audio might not work in certain instances.
>   I have Pulse Audio installed and I am trying to figure out what is
> wrong.  The problem can't be hardware related because my sound system
> works just fine with Ubuntu 10.10.  I also notice a lack of meaningful
> sound control programs in the default installation of Xubuntu.
>
> I would appreciate any hints in getting my sound working.

I have a non-standard audio setup and had a much *easier* time getting
sound working in Xubuntu than I did in Ubuntu.

Have you checked "Sound Settings" (Volume Control), accessed by clicking
the speaker icon in the panel?

If you can't figure it out, tell us about your hardware configuration,
especially sound cards and video cards. Xubuntu may have picked the
wrong sound card as your default.