How to install Apcupsd with a UPS on Ubuntu/Lubuntu/?buntu

John Hupp ubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Sep 20 22:09:18 UTC 2012

Hello, all.

I want to install an APC UPS with apcupsd under the Lubuntu variant of
Ubuntu.

Prior to trying to install the software, I was going to follow the
manual's instructions for making sure that the UPS was properly set up
in the USB subsystem.

But I couldn't even get to first base.  The first instruction is to run
"cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" from a shell prompt. But that yields "No
such file or directory."

Has anyone written a how-to for installing (or simply knows how to
install) on Ubuntu or any of its variant distros?