Ubuntu without pre-installed software?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:43:26 UTC 2012

On 18 September 2012 18:02, Pongo Pan <pongo_pan at fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 17:32 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>>
>> As for a minimal, customisable Ubuntu - well, the netinst ISO is a
>> good suggestion. Failing that, there is Debian! :¬)
>>

> Or Bodhi, which has the surprisingly light and very customizable E17
> desktop, is based on Ubuntu 12.04 and installs almost nothing beyond the
> OS and the desktop.  The 64 bit iso is only 561.4 MiB.  You can lard it
> up or not as you like.  Artistic people (not me!) do beautiful or weird
> or starkly plain and simple things with E17.  Works very well for me on
> an old laptop I use when traveling.  I used to use CrunchBang for this:
> based directly on Debian and very stark and simple by design.  I found
> the black and whiteness headache provoking in the long run.
>
> There are lots of choices.

Bodhi is OK. I salute & commend them for doing something a little
different, although to my jaundiced eye, the allegedly-beautiful E17
desktop really is not all that. None of the themes strike me as
particularly attractive.

A default installation of Mac OS X looks better than any of Bodhi's
themes to me, and nothing has ever beaten the austere beauty of
NeXTStep, not even its own progeny.

Which is odd, as just looking at people's desktop screenshots, I've
seen some /stunning/ Linux desktops.

But anyway. I've tried Bodhi, and Crunchbang, yes. Bodhi is quite
minimal, yes, but it does rather force your hand in terms of window
manager. Crunchbang is not minimal, it's quite complete, but it too
has strong opinions about how things should be done. Not bad ones - I
rather like it - but it is, shall we say, emphatic.

The point of using an Ubuntu netinst CD, or of using Debian, is that
*you can choose everything* if you so desire. You get to choose your
own window manager or desktop and all your own apps, which seems to be
what Johnny R wants. Bodhi, #! and so on do not permit this.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884