LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:14:34 UTC 2012

On 09/17/2012 07:46 AM, David Fletcher wrote:

>>> Should be fine.
>>
>> In that case I might just spend 20 quid and get an ATI card instead.
>> Would have done it before installing 12.04 if I'd known, only the one I
>> have always worked perfectly with Hardy and Maverick. Guess it'll then
>> be fun and games next time I plug in the XP hard drive that I very
>> occasionally need to use.
>>

> Which is exactly what I just did. It's the cheapest ASUS manufactured
> AMD chipped board from one of the on-line retailers.
>
> jockey-gtk offered two versions of the ATI driver. The
> post-release-updates driver failed to install but the other one went in
> just fine. Rebooted the computer and everything now works smoothly,
> about 10 times quicker than before by my reckoning.
>
> I tried updating a spreadsheet with the same Libre Office while chrome
> was open. Everything was fast, stable and correct looking. I hope it
> continues to be the case, but I have to say that I now feel much more
> confident in this computer.
>
> Like I saw somebody else on here state, I'm never again going to
> purchase the products of a certain graphics card company.
>
> Not tried swapping to the XP HDD yet, but that's not really a topic for
> this list I suppose.

I've been using Linux since the Slackware floppy disk install days and
have had nary a problem with nVidia. So, I don't use anything else. I've
installed two new video boards in the last 6 months. Nary a burp in the
barrel. When I installed my new motherboard, I did have to edit my bios
to turn off the onboard graphic chipset and set it to the PCIe slot for
it to roll. Just another learning curve and nothing to do with the
viability of an addon video card. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html