install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Sep 17 18:19:49 UTC 2012

Doug wrote:
> Interesting, Nils. I didn't know that the partitions had to be
> formatted. Normally, any partition I make I will also format, so I
> guess I had never run into that.

If you use e.g. gparted it will automatically format the partitions
according to the selected file system but if you use good old fdisk, it
will only write the partition table and not format anything. And if you
overwrite a partition with zeroes, like the OP wanted to do, it is also
not formatted afterwards. These are just two ways to get unformatted
partitions and I suppose there are several more ways.

> What does Ubuntu use in place of
> Dolphin? (It's been quite a while since I had an Ubuntu distro on
> one of my machines.)

I have no idea - I'm a Kubuntu user ...

Nils