install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10

lazer100 lazer100 at talktalk.net
Mon Sep 17 10:02:54 UTC 2012

On 17-Sep-12 13:23:18 Oliver Grawert wrote:
>hi,
>Am Sonntag, den 16.09.2012, 23:50 +0500 schrieb lazer100:
>>
>> I am unable to install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10,
>>
>> this is what happens when I try the command

>> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
>> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main gparted 0.3.8-1ubuntu2
>>   404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]
>> Failed to fetch

>discontinued releases are moved to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ you
>can update your sources.list entries to it ...

this has worked via Nils Kassube's suggestions,

>i would highly suggest to upgrade though, 8.10 has not seen any securty
>fixes since over two years, such a machine should not be connected to
>the internet...

I mainly use 8.10 for non internet uses, eg I use gcc and gdb to
debug portable software, and I use various shell programs for
various disk management purposes, eg I use dd to do sector
backups of drives and volumes,

eg on Windows I find System Restore doesnt work for more involved
changes, so instead I use Linux dd to make sector backups of
the system volume which is guaranteed to always work.

with these questions I was looking at a new idea which is to
zero drives and volumes, as you cannot wipe drives properly on Windows,
no matter what you do the files can still be salvaged, even if
you defragment and fully reformat, deleted files can still be salvaged
on Windows! the upside is that if you accidentally delete files on
Windows eg even if you do a full reformat, that you can probably
retrieve the original files! eg if you accidentally fully reformatted
the wrong volume on XP you should be able to retrieve the entirety!

for the drive in question I would zero via:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc

but I will do that later as its going to take several hours,
that will be my first attempt to zero a drive.

I will then use the Windows commercial salvage program to verify everything is
gone.