Quick backup

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 22:32:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 06:49:07 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:

> Are you currently using rsync or just a cp command? If you're not using
> rsync I'd definitely be looking into that.

+

rsync is definitely way to go. I use a script that utilizes rsync to make
a shapshot like backups (you can google for this). The script is run by
cron daily and rsync produces a log with the full list of what has been
changed, deleted, etc. The daily backup is stored on a separate
partition. Currently I store only last 4 days in the backup set. This can
be changed easily by changing a variable in the script at any time to
your likes.

Then twice a week I run another script (I run this one manually), that is
just a slight modification of the first one, to move the full set of
backups to an external USB drive where I also keep 4 last backup sets.

Since both scripts use rsync, if the changes are minimal the time to make
backup and/or to move a backup set to USB drive is minimal as well.