minimal CD --> startx

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 15 23:53:37 UTC 2012

hi,
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:40:02 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> And what exactly does one *do* with this, that is the question?
>
> It ain't "X-Windows" if there aren't any windows. ;¬)

wow, i love that we have this discussion since it reminds me how far
linux on the desktop has come since people like i started using
it ...

had you started where i come from then you would have used a desk
calculator to compute the proper modelines for your CRT by hand (always
being anxious because you know a single wrong number could fry the
thing into an irreparable boulder)

anyway, back to the topic, after you would have successfully started
your new X the only thing that would show up was an unmanaged xterm
window in the top left of your screen after you ran startx ...

and guess what, that didnt change til today ;) ... and you can do a lot
with an unmanaged xterm (compile a window manager and run it for
example)

its really good to see that only old farts like me seem to remember
this and that its knowledge thats only good for an anecdote in a ML
today because our system got so far ...

but in any case: sudo apt-get install xorg && startx
gets you actually something to work with, there is exactly one window
and it is unmanaged.

ciao
	oli