Calculating the size of /

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 19:31:09 UTC 2012

On 11 September 2012 20:19, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> Yes I can, sorry for being so dense.  I have nautilus setup to display
> hidden files as the default, so I mistakenly assumed gksu nautilus would
> pickup those setting, my bad.
>
> @PleegWat this must be what you were trying to get me to realize in your
> message, sorry for not picking up on it.
>
> Two final questions.
>
> Can I safely delete anything under /root/.local/share/Trash?  I would like
> to get that 28GB back as usable space.
>
> Where would be a good place to start reading about what goes in the various
> folders under /root and why?

Aha! We get there! :¬D

Delete the whole damned lot if you like. /root is the home directory
of the user "root" just as /home/jamesb is the home of the user
"jamesb".

In yours go the config files of programs you run.

In /root go the config files of programs run with "sudo" and its GUI
equivalent "gksu".

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884