Calculating the size of /

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Sep 11 19:30:13 UTC 2012

Jim Byrnes wrote:

> Yes I can, sorry for being so dense.  I have nautilus setup to
> display hidden files as the default, so I mistakenly assumed gksu
> nautilus would pickup those setting, my bad.

when yo run things with gksu you are doing so as root, so none of your
preferences will be carried across.

> Two final questions.
>
> Can I safely delete anything under /root/.local/share/Trash?  I
> would like to get that 28GB back as usable space.

It's the equivalent of emptying a recycle bin. Deleting it wont break
your system, but it's safety depends upon whether you'll want any of
that data or not.

> Where would be a good place to start reading about what goes in the
> various folders under /root and why?

/root is root's home directory. It's there historically because if
/home is on a remote filesystem that fails to mount, you still want
root to be able to log in as normal. Things that end up in there
should be largely the same as any other home directory, just for
things done by root rather than any normal user.

--
Avi