Homemade special personal characters on nano level to be used in passwords

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:48:45 UTC 2012

On 11 September 2012 15:13, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:19:42PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>> >
>> > What I meant was passwords which these newest super computers cannot
>> > break because there should be an endless number of characters, that is
>> > why I call in nano?
>>
>> What on Earth are you talking about?
>>
>> You can't have an endless number of characters, in other words, an
>> infinitely long password, because you'd never be able to enter it - it
>> would take infinitely long to type and you'd die before you entered it
>> the first time on the "pick a new password" screen.
>>
>> You cannot choose from an infinite number of characters in a password
>> of fixed length, either, because computers do not offer an endless
>> choice of characters. You get about 65,535 of them in the Unicode
>> character set - that really should be enough.
>
> Nitpick: there are 1,114,112 codepoints in Unicode, that 65,535 number
> is just those in the Basic Multilingual Plane.
>
> Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode#Architecture_and_terminology

Good heavens. Now that is a character set that is getting out of control.

But then I knew that when I first saw:
http://unicodesnowmanforyou.com/

Although to be fair, whatever idiot thought they could fit every
character in every human language into 16 bits was very, very ignorant
indeed.

But if we are now heading for 2²⁴ characters, that is also getting very silly.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884