Moving from 10.04 to 12.04

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 10 07:25:46 UTC 2012

On 10 September 2012 02:19, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> I think 8GiB would be to small for me. By my calculation I have 40GB +
> outside of my present home folder.  If my present setup had a separate /home
> partition that 40GB would be in / right? Put another way if I open nautilus
> and click File System everything displayed except home would be in / is that
> correct.

8 GB is enough for an initial install but you would find yourself
running out as new kernels were added and the apt cache got bigger,
which would mean you would have to keep cleaning it up.  If you allow
20 or so then it should not fill up for years.  To find why you are
using 40 on your current system run the Disk Usage Analyser and tell
it to scan '/' and it will show you where the space is used.  It will
take a few minutes to do the scan.

Colin